Presentations: Beyond The
Consulting Room And Concert Hall
Music and psychoanalytic knowledge inform each other both clinically and outside the consulting room/concert hall. This pertains to educators, business leaders, cultural institutions, arts organizations, social service and mental health professionals. The concepts that link music with psychological principles hold implications for interdisciplinary applications regarding how we tune into and are moved by what we hear.
I offer presentations illustrating how music and a knowledge of mental life are relevant in understanding and dealing with a variety of social and psychological issues. I offer lectures and workshops on topics that include
- Performance Anxiety
- Self Esteem
- Relationships (professional and personal)
- Conflict Resolution
- Teaching and Burn Out
- Human Development and Performance Through the Life Span
For further information on how to arrange a presentation to your group, please email Dr. Nagel.
Previous Presentations (Illustrative)
(These are from the last two years - for complete list, please see Resume)
Presenter at Music Teachers’ National Association/Canadian Music Teachers’ Associations: Performance Anxiety and the Human Life Cycle, New York, N.Y., June 29, 2012
Judge, Inner Landscapes, Video Dance Competition for Martha Graham Dance Company, 2012.
Chaired three presentations at Winter Meetings of the American Psychoanalytic Association, 2012:
1. Psychoanalytic Perspectives On Music: "Inner Landscapes: Martha Graham and Dance" (Presenter: Janet Eilber, Artistic Director, Martha Graham Dance Company)
2. Symposium on "El Sistema" (teaching music to raise self-esteem in disadvantaged children - Presenters: Michael Slein, Patrick Slevin, Marie Montilla )
3. "Freud's Last Session" (Presenter: playwright, Mark St. Germain. Discussants Phillip Freeman and Daniel Prezant)
Performance Anxiety as a Painful Signature Style for a Musical Performer. Conference on Creativity, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, April 2011
Psychodynamic and Musical Perspectives on Rage and Shame in Donizetti's Lucia di Lammermoor. Conference on Art and Psychoanalysis, Florence, Italy, May 2011
Performance Anxiety: When is a Symptom More than a Symptom? National Conference on Piano Pedagogy. Chicago, Illinois, July 2011.
"Mozart and Freud in Conversation and Performance". University of Michigan School of Music (with Louis Nagel, piano, Joel Sparks, actor). Jan. 27, 2011.